CogAT® Sample Questions
Below is an overview of each of the CogAT’s ® batteries: verbal, quantitative and nonverbal. In order to better understand the material that will be covered on the test, CogAT practice questions are provided below.
Important: While the CogAT sample questions shown on this page are representative of what your child will see on the exam, they aren’t taken directly from the actual test that’s being administered this year. If you’re looking for more information on the CogAT and what it is used for, check out our CogAT overview.
- Picture Analogies – These visual based questions are structured as a 2×2 matrix with 3 pictures and 1 empty cell. They must find the relationship between the items on top, and then find an that relates to the item in the bottom box. Students are encouraged to begin by looking at the 2 pictures on top. This way, they can understand the structural relationship between the two images. Once they complete this initial step, they can examine the picture on the bottom before looking at their answer choices. The objective is to ensure that the pictures on the bottom have a parallel relationship to the pictures on top. This section is made up of 14 questions and takes 15 minutes to complete.
- Sentence Completion – Depending on the age of the child, students will either be read, or required to listen to a sentence or question. Following this step, they will then select the word that best finishes the sentence. This section is made up of 14 questions and takes approximately 14 minutes.
- Picture Classification – Students will examine 3 pictures or words on top and determine their relationship to one another. Then, they must choose the 1 picture, or word, on the bottom that belongs in the same group. This section is composed of 14 questions and takes approximately 14 minutes to complete.
- Number Analogies – These questions require the same thought processes as Picture Analogies, as students must identify the mathematical relationship between the images in the top row. Students are then directed to the image in the bottom row. From there they must find an answer that models the same relationship to the initial image set. Like the verbal battery, this section consists of 14 questions and takes 13 minutes.
- Number Puzzles – During this section students are presented with a visual of two trains. The first train is carrying a specific number of red dots. Their task is to select the answer choice that makes the second train carry the same number of objects as the first train. This section includes 10 questions and takes 11 minutes.
- Number Series – Each question shows an abacus with a bead pattern. The students are encouraged to use their patterning skills to anticipate, and then select, the string of beads that follows in the sequence. These 14 questions take approximately 10 minutes.
- Figure Matrices – The thought processes required for the figure matrices battery are similar to those required for the Picture and Number Analogies. Students are required to identify relationships between spatial forms. The student begins by identifying distinct points of relation between two previous images. From there they can assess possible answer choices that model the previous two visuals that they encountered. This section consists of 14 questions and takes approximately 11 minutes to complete.
- Paper Folding – Students must mentally visualize what will happen to a piece of paper that goes through a series of alterations. In this specific case, the paper is folded, cut or hole-punched in some way, and then unfolded. This section consists of 10 questions and takes approximately 10 minutes to complete.
- Figure Classification – These require the same thought process as Picture classification, as students must infer relationships between a series of shapes and figures. The objective is to find the answer choice that belongs with the group on top. This section includes 14 questions and takes approximately 10 minutes to complete.
For more sample questions for each specific CogAT level, click below:
- CogAT Kindergarten Practice Questions (Level 5/6)
- CogAT 1st Grade Practice Questions (Level 7)
- CogAT 2nd Grade Practice Questions (Level 8)
- CogAT 3rd Grade Practice Questions (Level 9)
- CogAT 4th Grade Practice Questions (Level 10)
- CogAT 5th Grade Practice Questions (Level 11)
- CogAT 6th Grade Practice Questions (Level 12)
- CogAT 7th Grade Practice Questions (Level 13/14)
- CogAT 8th Grade Practice Questions (Level 13/14)